2020 SUSTECH INTERNATIONAL GRADUATE ADMISSION
About the Programs
SUSTech offers two types of graduate programs: PhD Program and Integrated Master-Doctor Program. All programs are offered in English.
The above programs open in all SUSTech colleges and departments, and offer PhD degrees in Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Mechanics, Business Intelligence and Big Data Management, and Intelligent Manufacturing & Robotics.
Normal study period for PhD program is four years (full time), and for integrated master-doctor program is five years (two years in Master and other three years in PhD).
PhD Program: Scholarship includes a basic annual stipend of RMB80,000 (Approx. USD11,429) plus a possible performance-based award of RMB20,000 (Approx. USD2,857) per year, for a maximum period of four years. The performance-based award will be evaluated by SUSTech academic departments and approved by the Graduate School.
Integrated Master-Doctor Program: During the master study period, stipend is RMB40,000 (Approx. USD5,715) per year, plus a possible performance-based award of RMB10,000 (Approx. USD1,428). Student who completes the Master study successfully and becomes a PhD candidate will receive the PhD standard stipend.
1. Non-Chinese citizen.
2. Bachelor’s degree for integrated master-doctor program applicants. Master’s degree for PhD program applicants.
3. Good health both physically and mentally.
4. Outstanding academic performance and potential.
5. English language requirements: TOEFL 80 or above; or IELTS 6.5 overall or above, with no sub-scores lower than 6.0.
PhD level tuition fee: RMB40,000 per year (Approx. USD5,715). Master level tuitions fee: RMB35,000 (Approx. USD5,000). Registration fee: RMB500 (Approx. USD71).
Accommodation fee: RMB 1,500 per month for a single room in the graduate student dormitories.
Extra financial support is available for all international PhD students after enrollment to cover up to 3/4 of the tuition fee and accommodation fees for 11 months. The application should be made to the Graduate School.
The fees listed above are for reference and are subjected to adjustment from time to time.
Please download the form below for information of SUSTech supervisors and research areas. Departmental contacts for enquiries and receiving applications are listed below.
How to Apply
May 31, 2020. Please email the application documents (PDF version) to department contacts listed below. Subject of email: Application for SUSTech PhD/ Integrated master-doctor program Admission 2020 – International Student – Name
2. Application Documents (PDF version):
(1) Application Form（Click here to downloadSUSTech Graduate Program Application Form(2020).docx）
(2) Personal statement, in Chinese or English, which should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal.
(3) Research proposal, in English, no fewer than 1500 words.
(4) Degree certificates and academic transcripts, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall also provide an official pre-graduation certificate/letter showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date. For all documents in languages other than Chinese or English, notarized copies of translations in Chinese or English need to be provided.
(5) Photocopies of language proficiency certificates.
(6) Two letters of recommendation with appropriate contact details, in Chinese or English.
(7) A photocopy of passport.
(8) Other documents that prove academic abilities.
Departments may require hard copies of the above documents. Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of application.
Evaluation and Admission
Applications will be considered on the basis of the documents provided by the applicants. An interview and/or additional tests may be needed.
Offer letters will be issued to the successful applicants by the SUSTech Graduate Admission Office following the release of the application outcomes around June 2020. Applicants who are not admitted will not be informed.
Admitted students should bring their personal ordinary passport, Certificate of Admission, Visa Application Form (JW202/JW201), as well as other documents as required to the Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China for a student visa (X1 visa). Students shall come to SUSTech for registration during the dates indicated by the Admission package with the required documents. Normally, the registration period is in late August. Students must enter China with an ordinary passport and an X1 visa, and must apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China.
All students should present the necessary original or notarial degree certificates upon registration at SUSTech for enrollment qualification review. Students who fail the enrollment qualification review will be disqualified from enrollment.
Bao Zhu (Miss)
SUSTech Graduate School
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Graduate School webpage: https://gs.sustech.edu.cn/en/
SUSTech official website: http://sustech.edu.cn/en/